Sustainable Burien is an organization started in January of 2008. We recognize the need to promote and participate in the creation of a sustainable community in Burien. We invite all residents and businesses to participate in creating a sustainable local community by sharing their ideas, passions, knowledge and talents.
You can contact us at <Contact Us>.
Currently meetings are being held quarterly. In the past, meetings have been held on the second Sunday of each month – from 2:00 – 4:00PM at the KCLS Burien Library (doors open at 1:30PM). Room reservations are first come first served and now can only be made 30 days in advance, so occasionally we may not be able to get a room there. Please check our Upcoming Events page for updated information prior to the meeting. The Burien Library is located at 4th SW and SW 152nd St.
Members of Sustainable Burien work in smaller groups called Pods. Pods will generally have a minimum of 3 members who will choose their own goals and methods. Any Pod that has something to share on the internet will be able to use some space on the Sustainable Burien web site to share information, ask for help or ideas, or anything else appropriate.
As of August 2008 our current Pods are Community, Energy, Environment, Food and Transportation. We expect that this list will grow as more people get involved and want to focus on different areas. Sustainable Burien is a grass roots organization, so the ideas for new Pods will come from the group. If you’ve got an idea for a Pod, bring it to one of our meetings and see if you can interest some other people in joining you.
At our first meeting we created five working Pods [Interest Groups] and developed a list of things that each group wanted to focus on to get started. Active Pods can have space on the Interest Groups page where they can share information about what they’re doing and what they’ve learned. If any of the POD names are a link, clicking on it will take you to their page. The current Pods (listed in alphabetical order) and their focus are:
- Community: Recruit new members for future meetings. Pod members will advertise to our neighbors and throughout the community. They will also work on finding projects and information that can benefit the whole community.
- Energy: Explore incentives for using solar energy looking at a) pay back, b) life cycle costs, c) break even, d) precursors to obtaining solar energy, e) bulk purchases, rebates, tax incentives and more.
- Environment: Reduce/Reuse/Recycle. The POD will be looking at finding safe cleaning products; how to determine how good they really are; working with others to help reduce the impact of invasive plant species; finding things that can be done easily [and sometimes not so easily] around the house and work to reduce our negative impact and more. .
- Food: Encourage interest, spread the word on community gardening, gleaning, canning and preserving.
- Transportation: Find out about walking maps of Burien in English (there’s an excellent one in Spanish already). Contact Feet First. Contact Sustainable Ballard and bike stores regarding the Undrivers’ License program. Research pedestrian and bicycle plans.